As part of the CONSERVAPESCA project, SP Group is applying new technologies in order to reduce the amount of preservatives required and to increase the service life of the seafood product.
The group is developing new Active Packaging with qualities that are extremely beneficial for improving the quality of seafood products. The following are just some of the advantages of this modified-atmosphere packaging: a reduction in enzymatic chemical reactions and microbial growth; an increase in practicality and economy in production; a longer shelf life which allows producers to make the most of economies of scale for production, manage provisions and transport costs, and improve export conditions.
- Antimicrobial films reduce the concentration of microorganisms.
- Antioxidant films prevent the oxidation and browning of the seafood.
- Volatile-compound-absorbing films eliminate the gases given off by the fish.
- Oxygen-absorbing films reduce the oxygen needed by bacteria and increase the service life of the product.
In addition to these films, SP Group is researching how to improve the behaviour of foods to determine the ideal packaging to maintain the highest quality. To do so, we have the possibility of:
- Applying new moisture-absorbing pads.
- Including zeolites for the absorption of volatile organic molecules, as opposed to using potassium permanganate.
- Studying extrusion and possible repercussions on the maintenance of the spindles, heads, joints and plastic seals on industrial machinery.
- Quantifying losses in optical or mechanical properties.
- Studying the effectiveness of the film by contact or by diffusion through the headspace.
- Studying the economic impact of the packaging films.